Monday, April 27, 2015

Confessions of a Sister Greenie



Confessions of a Sister Greenie

And by that, I mean, we ran out of toilet paper and money, so throughout the weekend, after members had fed us supper, we shamelessly asked them if they had toilet paper they could lend us. And since we have an amazing ward, we now have a lot. Of toilet paper. 

What else have I done as a greenie? Well, let me tell you. I don't speak Spanish. Which is fine, right? Because I'm not a Spanish missionary, right? Wrong. We have Spanish investigators because our ward is the designated Spanish ward for the area. And that's great and all, except for when we meet with them, we have no idea what's going on. I can do survival Spanish, like ask where the bathroom is or say that I'm hungry, but that doesn't quite cut it. Luckily, we have an awesome ward and the Spanish members come with us to lessons. Even luckier, one of the sisters is an RM and she served in Peru, so she basically takes over. It rocks. And Sister Layton and I sit there and try to make jokes in Spanish and it just doesn't work. Whatever. It's a learning experience. So I might come home being fluent in Spanish. Who knows. 

I had my first zone conference on Friday, which meant we had car inspections. We passed. Kind of. Our was clean, but the sisters who had it before us got pranked by some of the elders, so there's this stain on the side of the car that we can't get off! Stinkin' elders! And we have a broken windshield wiper. And a broken headlight. So not only will I be learning Spanish here in the mission, but also how to replace parts of a car. Also, as part of zone conference, we did a musical arrangement of Be Still My Soul with two elders and my companion. So that was fun. We also took some photos in front of the Cardston temple. The photo is of me and Sister Tilley. She was in my zone in the MTC and she's serving in Raymond right now. She's the sweetest. 

So I was reading in 2Nephi, and I came across this verse in the first chapter, verse 21 that made me laugh so hard. It's not funny, but the way it hit me was just too good. It says, "...arise from the dust, my sons, and be men, and be determined in one mind and in one heart, united in all things, that ye may not come down into captivity." This is Lehi talking to Laman and Lemuel before he dies, and he basically just told them what's up. He's like, Be men! Grow up! Quit being rebellious teenagers and just be obedient because the Lord is frustrated with you, he wants to bless you but you keep being punks! And this is why I thought it was funny, because they're grown men now with families, yet they're still acting like rebellious teenagers who think their dad is a fuddy duddy. It really hit me because obedience has been my goal here on the mission, and Laman and Lemuel are exact examples of what NOT to do. I just loved that. 

We found these fake tattoo finger mustaches that Sister Schell got for her birthday, so we thought we'd take photos with them this morning, so that was fun. 

Not much else happened this week, which is why I only have a few photos for you. It went by really fast though, which was weird. I turned one month on Saturday! Yay! I love you all so much. Thank you for emailing me! You don't even know what it means to me(: 
Signing off, 

Sister Pipkin 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment