Monday, April 20, 2015

Buddhists and B.O.Ms
And by that, I mean Books of Mormon. And by Buddhists, I mean that I tried to give a Book of Mormon to one. Talk about awkward. Let me explain. So we were doing car contacting (which is mildly weird if you think about it. Like hey kid, want a Book of Mormon? anyways) and we weren't having much luck. We saw this little old Asian lady at the bus stop and we thought hey, let's ask her if she wants one. So we strike up a little bit of a conversation and I said, "Well hey, do you want a Book of Mormon?" And she said, "Oh, well I'm of a different faith." And I said, "Oh that's ok! This book is about Jesus!" And she said, "Oh, no, really, I'm ok." And I said, "Come on, everyone believes in Jesus! Don't you believe in Jesus?" And she said, "Well, I'm uh... I'm a Buddhist." So no, no she doesn't believe in Jesus. Insert foot in mouth, eh? I just kind sat there like, well crap, what do I do now? Luckily, my companion rocks and she saved me by following up with, "Well that's ok. Do you know anyone who'd need some service? We'd love to help!" So that was my fun awkward situation of the week.

WE GOT TWO NEW INVESTIGATORS THIS WEEK! One was via Facebook. He messaged me and I was like, "WANNA KNOW MORE ABOUT THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST?!" And he said yes. Holla. Anyways, he lives in an area where missionaries aren't allowed to proselyte, so we've been having discussions on Facebook and it's awesome. 
Our other new investigator was a referral. He called us and wanted to come to church because he's looking for a new start. Well look no further, sir. He isn't in our are, but he visits some friends on the weekends who live in our area, so we'd planned to meet with him while he was here. AND THEN! He called us the other day and ASKED US IF HE COULD COME TO CHURCH! UHM YES YOU CAN! And he did! He brought his little girl and afterwards he said that this was exactly what he was looking for and that he'd be back next week. CAN I GET AN AMEN! It's sweet. 
Also, for those of you who are wondering, yes, the members here are awesome. We've got every night for the rest of the month scheduled with someone feeding us dinner, so that's awesome. We love our ward, they rock!

So I had my first real life walk-and-talk the other day. We'd stopped at a less-active's home to visit her but she wasn't there. As we were leaving, I saw this guy standing in this big truck type thing in his driveway and I just waved, not thinking anything of it. But then he opened the door and waved and started heading towards me! So I was like, alright, here I go! And I went up and asked him what he was doing. He and his buddy are cleaning out this food truck so they can sell poutine (a Canadian thing. It's like chili on fries or something like that, but I haven't tried it yet) out of it. I was like, "Well cool... Have you ever heard about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?" You guys, I don't even know where that came from. Out of my mouth, obviously, but I was like wait, what? He said he hadn't, so my comp and I kind of talked to him and his sister a little bit and then left them with a pass-along card advertising the #BecauseHeLives video and our number on it. We haven't heard from them yet, but at least we planted the seed!

On Thursday, the Relief Society had an activity hosted by the Spanish sisters in the ward. It was awesome, and we got name tags and since it was a Spanish activity, we pretended to be Hermanas for a few hours, hehe. Our ward is actually the designated ward for Spanish members in the area to go to. So we have a few Spanish investigators and it's a struggle because, uh, no habla espanol. I guess I'll be learning! We also had a few service projects this weekend. We helped run some booths at a gymnastics convention and we helped out at the stake youth conference. They did an MTC training type deal and it was way fun. It was awesome to see the testimonies of these youth grow and their wanting to serve a mission. We loved our little 'zone'. So that's what most of the photos are of, our little zone(: 

This week has gone by really quickly because we've been so busy!! I can't believe I've almost been out for a month, it's crazy! I love you all so much!!! Thanks for you love and support and prayers. Keep praying and reading your scriptures, I know you will be blessed for it!

Signing off,
-Sister Pipkin










No comments:

Post a Comment