Monday, September 5, 2016

We survived transfers!

Good news! I'm still in Raymond! Which means I get to spend my last five weeks among these wonderful people that I've grown to love so much!
Sister Brignone and I are still together and all is well in Zion. 
Except Sister Taylor got transferred from the other sister companionship in Raymond. That was sad. 
And the really sad part is when you hit a point in your mission where you realize you really won't see some of these people again until they come home. Rude. 

Anywho.

Despite it being transfer week, which is usually a gong-show, we had such a good week! 

Monday: We had breakfast at Tekarra's because we knew Sister Taylor was getting transferred, and transfers are on Thursday, when Tekerra normally has us for lunch on Fridays. So we had a goodbye breakfast and then for lunch, the Lacey's had us all over for a BBQ at their house. And then, Alicia called me! She'd gotten my number from some other missionaries (I think, Idk how she got it actually :P) and she came and saw me in Raymond. So that was quite the pleasant surprise. 
We had supper with the Stringam's and she made Cafe Rio imitation. Mmmm. I love it. We shared the soap and pepper object lesson on baptism because their daughter, Finlay, is getting baptized next weekend. Then we had FHE with the Wannops and we did an object lesson about the Book of Mormon. We have a piece of paper and we fold it, telling the story of the Book of Mormon, and then tear it once and it opens into a cross, and the remaining pieces spell LOVE and LIVE. We talk about how the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ, how it is centred on Him and teaches us how we can be closer to Him. 
We then had FHE with Yosh and her kids. Her older kids aren't active, but they were all there and stayed for the message! We shared the Plan of Salvation and talked about everyone's favorite parts of this marvelous plan Heavenly Father has set for us. 
Then we started heading home, and it's that time of year where it's dark by 8:30, so we're walking home in the dark, on poorly lit streets, and we see this huge thunderstorm rolling in. The lightning is flashing pretty crazy and it's getting cold and windy, and we're thinking, "Heavenly Father, we're trying SO HARD to be home by 9, please don't let us get rained on!" We made it home on time, and not 5 minutes after we got in, it started raining. Boo yah!!! #Blessings. 

Tuesday: Was bitter-sweet. We were pretty sure we knew who was getting transferred, so we said our goodbyes for the most part during District meeting to the missionaries in our district we wouldn't see before transfers. 
We had a lesson with Kendra and talked about her reading in Jacob 5. She actually was able to apply things from her reading to her life, which I think is awesome because Jacob 5 is always a struggle for me haha. 
That morning, I had read in D&C 38 about seeking after eternal riches, things that will bring us closer to Heavenly Father. I thought about what all those things could be; our families, the temple, meaningful relationships with those around us, the scriptures. And then we stopped by Tosh and visited with her for a bit, and I felt prompted to share that scripture with her. After I read it and explained what it meant to me, she said, "It's funny that you say that because I was literally just thinking about that and really needed to hear that," and then she went on to explain what she'd experienced the last couple of days. So neat. I love it when things I didn't plan to study for teaching are applicable for others.
3rd ward had their ward BBQ, and after we had finished eating, they assigned us to stand around the salad and dessert table, waving paper plates to keep the wasps away.... I got bored. So I went and played basketball with the youth. Not only do I suck at basketball on a normal basis, but I also suck while wearing a skirt. :D 

Wednesday: WE GOT A NEW INVESTIGATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Idk, we haven't gotten a new investigator in Raymond since before I got transferred here beginning of June. So I'm pretty stinkin' excited. 
Her name is Melissa, and she was a referral we'd gotten way back beginning of July, but never seemed to be able to contact her. Well, we finally contacted her on Wednesday, and her mom let us in and we had a lesson with her and she wants to learn more! We left her with a Book of Mormon to read and she's pretty interested because she's Native, and she knows that it has a lot to do with her ancestry. The member that referred her and another member whom she rents from, have told her a lot about the church and have had great discussions with her. While she's going through a lot of difficult stuff right now, we're confident that she's been prepared and this will richly bless her life. I"M SO EXCITED!!!!
That evening, we had transfer supper at the Ball's and they stuffed us with dessert. Then Mamma J had us all over for dessert pt. 2, and I just about died from all the dessert.
I said my final goodbyes to Sister Taylor. Sad day. Also, I look 12 compared to her in the photo of us. No laughing. I get short jokes out the wazoo here. 

Thursday: We weekly planned and made cookies at Sister Steed's because she provided the ingredients. Bless her heart. 
Then, Sister Gleason, who I came out with and go home with, got transferred to Magrath. She calls us and says, "Sister Pipkin, the AP's just told me we're not going home on the 7th, and this isn't a 5 week transfer." Needless to say, I flipped. I called those AP's, and they had no clue what was going on. So I called the mission office and they told me it's stil the 7th, and I can calm down. So I did. Kind of. Not really. Because after that was settled, my mom sent Sister Steed my flight itinerary, and I don't fly into IF until flippin' 11:15pm????? I'm going to be so exhausted. So if you still love me, please still come see me at the airport :D. And then we filled the dates in our planner and I realized that I don't really have 5 weeks, I have about 4 weeks and a bit, because that 5th week is transfer week. Which means pday on Monday, District Meeting and saying goodbye and crying on Tuesday, saying goodbye and crying on Wednesday, transfers Thursday morning, gone on Friday. 
Needless to say, Thursday was a freak out day. And if you know me, you know that I don't freak out quietly. 
But we had a block party with some of the members in 1st ward to try and fellowship some less-actives and new move-ins and it had such a great turn out! And Sister Wersey and I had matching shirts(:

Friday: We made cookies with the residents at Good Sam's. So fun. As always, Eddie provided much entertainment and I just love him. 
We had some really good lessons with a few of our less-actives, and most of them are progressing towards activity! So exciting. Brother Geddes is returning to full activity, and he asked me if I'd come back up when he goes through the temple! OF COURSE I WILL OH MY GOODNESS!!!! So that was exciting. 

Saturday: Was cold and windy. The weather is changing really quickly here. Which is too bad because I sent home most of my colder clothing. Oops. 
We played baseball with some members who had invited non-members and less-actives. Afterwards, we were able to share a message, and it was a really neat atmosphere. 
We contacted some people and set up appointments for next week, and then went and helped the Nickle's paint. I love Sister Nickle. She's like my mom. Literally, she reminds me of you, mom. We talked a lot about my stresses and anxieties of going home and it was really comforting and an answer to prayer to have some mom time until I can have my real mom. 
We had supper at Cathy's and she tried to kill us with some stuffed jalapeno peppers. She didn't know they were as spicy as they were, and they were really really good! But they made me cry. And then I paid for it on Sunday. Yahoo!

Sunday:  We had a lot of less-active members come to church, and it was so awesome. One couple walked in and I literally jumped up and said, "YES!" 
We had supper with Bishop Smith and his family in 3rd ward and did my favorite object lesson about the Book of Mormon with the can. And then the boys wanted me to teach them how, so I did. 
We had correlation with our ward mission leader in 10th ward, and then we visited the Steedman's. Tim's parents brought back some cheese from the states, the kind that they put on nachos at football games, and Tosh made some for us and it was so good, I about died. Mmm. 

This morning, I was studying in D&C 33 and verse 17 stuck out to me so much. 
"Wherefore, be faithful, praying always, having your lamps trimmed and burning, and oil with you, that you may be ready at the coming of the Bridegroom"
And it hit me, that so many times on my mission, I've seen strong members of the church go inactive out of nowhere. I realized, that we don't know when Christ will come again. We don't know what's going to happen tomorrow, or even later today. We don't know what trials we're going to face that could shake our testimonies. We just don't know. President and Sister Miles said that we should live our lives in a way that in five years, they can call us up and invite us to go to a temple session with them, and we'll be ready. We'll be worthy. Our faith is strong because we've been acting and building upon it, trimming our lamps and keeping oil with us. We need to do the things that will help us be ready for tomorrow, today. 

Love you all so much! Hope everyone's families are doing well and the start of school is going well! 

<3 Sister Pipkin 
 

1) Alicia came to see me!
2) I found this Buddah statue on someone's porch and had to rub its belly for good luck (;
3) Goodbyes with Sister Taylor!
4) I made Mexican corn for lunch during weekly planning. Mmm. They don't do Mexican food right here.
5) Sister Wersey and I, twinning!
6) My ridiculous tan lines from my shoes this summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment